FSF Study Group on Deposit Insurance – Terms of Reference
- Study recent experience with deposit insurance schemes - by examining systems that worked well, those that did not work well, and the reasons why - and synthesising the key lessons learned.
- Sketch the policy trade-offs presented by different types of deposit insurance schemes, taking account of different institutional settings.
- Examine the issues involved in transitions from implicit or explicit blanket guarantees to limited coverage deposit insurance schemes.
- Assess the desirability and feasibility of setting out international guidance on deposit insurance, recognising that different country circumstances may imply different policy prescriptions.
- Evaluate what form such guidance could take (ranging from formulation of general principles for deposit insurance schemes to setting out pitfalls to be avoided in their design and operation) and who would be best able to take forward this work.